Saturday, March 6, 2010

Twin Windowpane Baby Blankets




One of my friends from high school had twins! She and one of my other friends from high school are married and already have a 4 year old daughter, and their twin daughters were born on my brother's birthday. They found out shortly after I returned home and I found I had nothing to knit because its too warm here. Well lucky me, what an excuse to knit something. I started playing around with some colors and came up with what I call a Windowpane pattern. When I bought the yarn, we didn't know what sex the babies were, so I just got green and yellow and went to town (after all, it takes a while to make two baby blankets). I used size 8 needles and Bernat's Baby Sport in the 10.5 oz size; one in soft yellow and one in mint. I started when I found out, and now they're 7 mos old and i'm just finishing. Well, hopefully it was worth the wait.

I have a problem with how stockinette stitch curls along the edging, so I did a crab stitch border on each of them using cotton yarn for durability.

The windowpane pattern is made by slipping the background stitches and knitting rows in the additional color.


No comments: